Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Recipe #223 - Saison's Greetings

Since I love saisons, a few years ago I added one to my holiday line-up. I spice this one a little bit differently than my standard saison (although who am I kidding, I've thrown all sorts of stuff in there...), and age it on wine-soaked oak chips.

Mash

7.25 lb domestic 2-row
2 lb domestic Vienna
.05 lb flaked wheat
0.5 lb asidulated malt
0.5 lb flaked oats

Hops

1 oz East Kent Goldings @ 5.4% AA @ 60 min
0.5 oz Saaz @ 4% AA @ 20 min
0.5 oz " @ 5 min

Yeast

White Labs Saison Ale Yeast WLP 565

Tincture

Soak in 4 oz 190 proof house vodka for one week: .5 tsp crushed coriander, .25 oz curaƧao orange peel, 1 g crushed grains of paradise, 1 tsp fresh grated ginger. Strain and add at racking.

Aging

8 weeks on chardonnay barrel chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment